Deputy Sheriff (Johnson County, KS)
The Johnson County Sheriff’s Office offers an exceptionally competitive entry-level salary and benefits package. As a deputy sheriff’s career progresses, longevity pay raises accrue and opportunities for advancement become available. Please take a moment to review the benefits outlined below.
Salary: The current salary for a deputy sheriff is:
- Probationary Hourly/Annual - $21.50 / $44,720.00
- Master Deputy Hourly/Annual - $35.60 / $74,048.00 (maximum)
Requirements: Prospective deputy sheriff applicants must meet all of the minimum requirements:
- Must be 21 years of age at time of appointment.
- High School diploma or G.E.D. Certificate.
- Honorable Discharge from Military (if applicable, Veteran's preference is available for applicants providing a DD-214 indicating an honorable discharge).
- United States Citizen.
- Must be able to operate a motor vehicle and possess a valid driver’s license with limited traffic record.
- Any usage of non-prescribed drugs must have been limited and not recent.
- Applicants will have to successfully complete a pre-employment drug screen.
- May not have any felony convictions, or other restrictions per KSA 74-5605 or its equivalent under the Uniform Code of Military Justice. Must be of good moral character.
- Average or above average physical condition with weight in proportion to height. No physical or mental condition that hampers performance and causes unnecessary risk to oneself or the community. Able to walk, run and stand for extended periods of time. Must be able to transverse or climb irregular surfaces. Must be able to complete a timed physical agility test.
- Must have full range of motion, be able to operate Sheriff’s Office firearms and be able to participate in all aspects of physical training.
- Normal hearing and sense of smell.
- Eyesight requirement of 20/20 or correctable to 20/20 in both eyes. Full color vision or corrected color vision certified by a physician. Night and peripheral vision required.
- Demonstrate responsibility and stable behavior in their past employments, financial history, personal relationships and personality.
- Applicants must be able to read, write and speak English fluently.
Residency: The Sheriff’s Office does not have a residency requirement.
Apply: Please apply online at https://www.jocogov.org/dept/human-resources/careers/jobs-open-public