Deputy Sheriff (Johnson County Sheriff, KS)
Deputy Sheriff, Johnson County Sheriff's Office
The Johnson County Sheriff's Office offers an exceptionally competitive entry-level salary and benefits package. We also account for experience and offer competitive lateral hire pay.
We are seeking motivated people to become a Deputy Sheriff and add to the diversity of our team!
Salary & Benefits
$22.15 - $35.60/hour + overtime
As a member of the Johnson County Sheriff's Office, you have the option of participating in one of the Blue Cross/Blue Shield insurance plans, as well as dental and vision plans. Along with these plans, there is county provided short-term disability insurance, and optional life insurance.
KP & F Retirement & Deferred Compensation Plans
From your first day of employment, you will be participating in the Kansas Police & Fire retirement system. Your contribution amount in the system is 7.15% of your gross pay. You can find additional information at www.kpers.org.
Deferred Compensation, 457(b) is a voluntary retirement plan that offers a tax deferred option to fund your retirement. The plan consists of several different investment options. Along with this deferred compensation plan, Johnson County will set up a secondary deferred compensation plan, 401(a), where a matching contribution will be made.
To assist you in continuing your formal education, the Johnson County Sheriff's Office offers Education Assistance, with reimbursement for courses in a degree program that are from an accredited college.
Deputy Sheriff applicant minimum requirements:
- Must be 21 years of age at time of appointment.
- High School diploma or G.E.D. Certificate.
- Honorable Discharge from Military (if applicable, Veteran's preference is available for applicants providing a DD-214 indicating an honorable discharge).
- United States Citizen.
- Must be able to operate a motor vehicle and possess a valid driver's license with limited traffic record.
- Any usage of non-prescribed drugs must have been limited and not recent.
- Applicants will have to successfully complete a pre-employment drug screen.
- May not have any felony convictions, or other restrictions per KSA 74-5605 or its equivalent under the Uniform Code of Military Justice.
- Must be of good moral character.
- Average or above average physical condition with weight in proportion to height. No physical or mental condition that hampers performance and causes unnecessary risk to oneself or the community. Able to walk, run and stand for extended periods of time. Must be able to transverse or climb irregular surfaces. Must be able to complete a timed physical agility test.
- Must have full range of motion, be able to operate Sheriff's Office firearms and be able to participate in all aspects of physical training.
- Normal hearing and sense of smell.
- Eyesight requirement of 20/20 or correctable to 20/20 in both eyes. Full color vision or corrected color vision certified by a physician. Night and peripheral vision required.
- Demonstrate responsibility and stable behavior in their past employments, financial history, personal relationships and personality.
- Applicants must be able to read, write and speak English fluently.
The Sheriff's Office does not have a residency requirement.
To review more information and apply, please visit www.jocosheriff.org, and click on the Employment tab. Or, to speak with someone in our Personnel Division, please call 1-866-262-3744.
Individuals who successfully complete the online application will be contacted by e-mail with further instructions. Johnson County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Closing date: Applications for this position are accepted until all positions are filled.