Certified Police Officer (City of Lawrence)
City of Lawrence, KS
STARTING PAY VARIABLE DEPENDING ON EXPERIENCE
Must have one year post-academy graduation law enforcement experience and have or be able to obtain Kansas Law Enforcement Officer Certification. Contact the Training Unit at 785-830-7410 for application information.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The City of Lawrence is currently seeking to fill open Police Officer positions. Duties include patrolling designated areas of the City to preserve law and order and to prevent the commission of crime, responding to general public service calls, investigating misdemeanor and felony complaints, and enforcing state and municipal laws as well as traffic ordinances. An officer must be able to maintain good working relationships with citizens and actively promote police/community relations. An officer will be required to do a variety of technical and administrative functions that serve the public and the police department. An element of danger is associated with the position and an officer will be subjected to extreme, adverse, and stressful conditions. Work is supervised, but officers must be able to function independently for most of the workday.
We are seeking men and women who have character and competence and are interested in serving the Lawrence community in the time honored profession of Law Enforcement. If you want to make a difference in the community, we challenge you to consider a career with the Police Department. It will be the most rewarding work you have ever been involved with. We welcome your interest in our department and wish you luck in the selection process.
QUALIFICATIONS: Applicants must be U.S. Citizens that are at least 21 years of age by May 14th, 2018, and have earned a high school diploma or G.E.D. College degree preferred but not required. Experience in meeting and dealing with the public is a plus. Applicants will be required to pass an extensive background investigation. A conditional post job offer psychological evaluation and physical are required. The physical and medical screen include measures of cardio respiratory function, muscular function, strength and endurance, flexibility, visual acuity, audiometric function and a drug screen.
- Health, Dental and Life Insurance: Varies dependent upon coverage levels available
- Vacation: 12 days per year (Plus 3 days Personal Leave)
- Holidays: 9 days per year
- Retirement: Kansas Police and Fire Retirement System
MUST CONTACT THE TRAINING UNIT AND SUBMIT ONLINE APPLICATION BY: DECEMBER 31ST, 2022
SEE OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL FOR OUR FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS VIDEO
*Half of bonus to be paid upon hire and the other half paid after successful completion of Field Training Program
**The City of Lawrence is pleased to provide an online application process. As of January 8th, 2007 Human Resources will no longer accept paper applications by mail, e-mail or fax. If you do not have access to a home computer to submit an application, computer access is available at public libraries, the Lawrence Workforce Center or City Hall, Human Resources.
Human Resources Division Employment Information Line: (785) 832-3333
City of Lawrence, Kansas
City Hall, 2nd Floor
Toll Free: (800) 444-8321 ' Phone: (785) 832-3203 ' Fax: (785) 832-3228
City of Lawrence, Kansas Web Page: www.LawrenceKs.org
If any of the following statements apply to you, you do not meet the qualifications and cannot continue in the hiring process.
Reasons for Disqualification
- I have been convicted, have an expunged conviction, or was granted diversion for a felony.
- I have been convicted or received a diversion for a misdemeanor, other than DUI, which had a possible jail sentence of six months within the past five years.
- I have been convicted, have an expunged conviction, or received diversion for any misdemeanor domestic violence offense.
- I have had a DUI conviction or received a diversion for a DUI within the past three years.
- I do not have a valid driver's license and am not able to attain one prior to the start of employment.
- I am currently on probation, parole or diversion.
- I have used an illegal drug, other than marijuana, within the past five years.
- I have sold or manufactured any controlled substance within the past ten years.
- I have used marijuana in the past year.
- I have been dishonorably discharged from the military.
- I have been convicted of a court martial offense.
ALL APPLICANTS WILL BE PROVIDED WITH A COPY OF THIS DOCUMENT AND IT MUST BE SIGNED BY APPLICANT PRIOR TO TESTING