Special Agent (Kansas Insurance Department)
Announcement of Vacant Position
Internal - External
Posting Date: April 3, 2023
Job Vacancy: Special Agent
Job Opening ID: 208365
Division: Enforcement Section
Compensation Rate: $55,000 annually (Commensurate with Experience)
Position Type: Unclassified, Regular, Full-Time, Nonexempt, Benefit's-Eligible
Closing Date: April 12, 2023
Contact: Dale Hubbell - firstname.lastname@example.org or 785-291-3801
If you are passionate about protecting and serving the citizens of Kansas, we would love for you to join our team. The Kansas Insurance Department is seeking a dedicated individual for a Special Agent position in our Enforcement Section. As a Special Agent you will be investigating entities and individuals to ascertain facts and to gather evidence pertaining to allegations of illegal fraudulent activities or material non-compliance with Kansas insurance and securities laws, rules, and regulations. If you have strong communication and investigative skills, the Special Agent position will be a great fit for you. We are committed to promoting employee development by offering a career path with promotional opportunities.
The team members in the Enforcement Section are collaborative and hardworking and have the optimal goal to protect consumers against insurance and securities fraud in the State of Kansas. The team collaborates to make the best decisions possible for the Kansas Insurance Department and Kansas consumers.
- Conduct investigations relating to insurance and securities fraud.
- Identify, contact and interview victims, witnesses, and principles; take statements from witnesses, complainants, and affected persons or their representatives in order to gather and evaluate evidence relevant to the allegation or claim.
- Prepare written reports of investigation findings. Prepare case for presentation to a superior, prosecuting authority, law enforcement agencies, or other state departments, administrative hearings or in court.
- Analyze a variety of records to determine operational and financial condition of an entity, including business plans, use of investment capital proceeds, and disclosure of material information, in relation to requirements of state and federal insurance and securities laws and regulations.
- Prepare and serve orders of subpoenas, affidavits, and warrants. Appear to attest to affidavits and testify as a witness in court and in administrative proceedings.
What We Have to Offer
The Kansas Insurance Department has a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Personal and professional growth opportunities by offering career development programs to further career advancement.
- Outstanding work-life balance with flexible work schedules and a chance to work up to two days a week remotely after six months of employment with the Department.
- No waiting period for health insurance coverage - eligible for insurance on day one.
- Competitive Salary.
- Paid holidays, vacation leave, sick leave, and parental leave.
- Retention and Credential Bonus Opportunities.
- KPERS Retirement plan and deferred compensation program.
- Beautifully renovated office near Wanamaker Road with free parking and easy access to I-70.
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in criminal justice, and accounting, business administration or related fields. Certified law enforcement, investigative or auditing experience may be substituted for a bachelor's degree if deemed equivalent by the Commissioner of Insurance. Travel: In-state travel will be required, and some limited out-of-state travel may be necessary. Applicant must therefore have a valid driver's license.
Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- Certification as a Kansas law enforcement officer.
- Knowledge of criminal investigation techniques and procedures.
- Superior writing and communication skills with the ability to communicate well with individuals from various backgrounds.
- Ability to work with a team and on your own independently.
- Ability to interview or interrogate others to elicit pertinent information.
- Ability to remain calm under stressful conditions.
- As a condition of employment, candidates are subject to a pre-employment screening process to include name-based criminal history records check and reference/background check of past and present employers and a KBI background check.
- Verification of identity and employment eligibility to work in the U.S. is required by federal law.
- Kansas Tax Clearance Certificate is required, please visit the Department of Revenue's website for more information: https://www.ksrevenue.org/taxclearance.html
- Veteran's Preference Eligible - Learn more about claiming Veteran's preference at: https://admin.ks.gov/offices/personnel-services/jobs/veterans-preference
How To Apply:
Step 1: Create an Account at the State of Kansas Careers website at:
Step 2: Once you have created an account, complete the online State of Kansas application form and upload the other required documents:
- Kansas Tax Clearance Certificate
- Cover letter
- Veterans' Preference K.S.A. 73-201(c) Form and DD-214, if applicable.
What to Expect Next:
Your application will be reviewed, and we will evaluate your qualifications based on the materials that you submit. Therefore, the materials that you submit must be complete and fully discuss how you meet the minimum, other, and preferred qualifications, if applicable. After your application is evaluated, you may be contacted for further information or to schedule an interview.
KANSAS TAX CLEARANCE CERTIFICATE REQUIRED: Each applicant applying for a State of Kansas job vacancy must obtain a valid and up to date Kansas Certificate of Tax Clearance. For more information and to obtain a Kansas Certificate of Tax Clearance go to the Kansas Department of Revenue's website at: http://www.ksrevenue.org/taxclearance.html. This is in accordance with Executive Order 2004-03. If you need assistance with the tax clearance, please contact 785-296-3199.
Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to contact the Recruiter if reasonable accommodations are needed for any part of the application or hiring process.
The Kansas Insurance Department is an Equal Opportunity Employer