Police Officer (Lyons Police Department)
Position: Police Officer
Reports to: Chief of Police
Under the supervision of the Chief of Police the Police Officer shall be a uniformed officer and conduct highly responsible law enforcement work under general direction to create and maintain a safe City in an ordinally fashion. The Lyons Police Department works 12-hour shifts with every other weekend off to have 24-hour coverage in the City.
Certified Officers start at $19.23 - $24.03 an hour Depending on qualifications. Non-Certified Start at $17.30-19.23 Depending on qualifications. Great Benefits including vacation, sick leave, KPERS retirement, and insurance.
- Be knowledgeable of all federal, state, and local laws and ordinances.
- Investigates suspicious conditions, Citizen complaints, traffic accidents, and traffic enforcement.
- Knowledgeable of the court system and presentation of evidence in court proceedings.
- Type and submit incident reports to the county attorney as well as to local law enforcement agencies.
- Assist with developing and implementing various safety strategies and plans.
- Ability to deal tactfully and effectively with others.
- Attends schools and seminars to maintain proficiency and certifications.
- Responds to emergencies and critical incidents such as fire alarms, medical emergencies, altercations, threats of violence, etc. for the purpose of confining, resolving, or preventing injury or otherwise hazardous situations.
- Must be willing to work a highly flexible schedule based on case load and needs of the department.
- Must be able to work shift work.
High school diploma or GED required. Commissioned as a law enforcement officer. Requires graduation from law enforcement training center (K.L.E.T.C. Certification) and 40 hours of continuing education training annually.
- United States Citizen
- 21-years of age at time of appointment
- No Felony, domestic violence or serious misdemeanor offenses
- Possess a valid Kansas driver's license
Open Until Filled
Chief Justin Holliday
1344 W. Main
Lyons, KS 67554
Lyons City HR Director
201 W. Main
Lyons, KS 67554